Microsoft Kinect side projects
Microsoft Kinect might become one of the most interesting projects coming out from Redmond. This brilliant future for the kinect is probably due to the Open Source driver that already made Microsoft say that they welcome what people invent. (That’s new, for a change). But let’s stop talking about politics and list some interesting cool things people are doing with Kinect (in no particular order):
- iRobot platform sees the world through Kinect. A student from the The MIT Personal Robots Group is hacking the roomba like robot platform to do 3D mapping of the environment. His implementation is also able to recognise some basic human movements.
- Using kinect for interactive puppets might have a great potential in times to come. Artists will find great ways to incorporate Kinect into their acts. The connection of the kinect with Processing is obvious and will certainly gain momentum with artists that are used to processing.
- GitHub Kinect Driver Repository , Wiki Page for OpenKinect, and Twitter account for OpenKinect
- Using the Kinect to make sound? What about a Kinect Midi controller [Video]? And what about a OpenKinect Piano [video] that also works as exercise machine?
- Using the Kinect with the Apple iPad [video] ?
- What about doing a lightsaber like the ones of Start Wars? Darth Vader Anyone?
- Adding a physics gravity engine is also easy
I’ll updated this list with new projects and ideas. If you find one please put own in the comments so I’ll check them and update this list. (What about combining the Kinect with a Wiimote giro?)